The Couple

  dionne
  joven

Saturday, March 25, 2006

A beautiful people.

"We are all part of the problem. We are all partly to blame.

But the good thing is, we are also the answer. We are also the solution."

Alexander Ledesma Lacson


Yesterday, I had a late (but great) birthday gift from Dulce. It was a 105-page book entitled "12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do To Help Our Country" by Alexander L. Lacson.

My boss saw it on my desk and told me he heard a lot about the book. I knew that he was a book enthusiast but his genre is a bit different from what I like. From what he said, I got curious. This morning, I picked up the book. The moment I started reading it, I cannot put it down. There were moments when I got teary eyed because of frustration. The Foreword by E. D. Apostol was right, it will bother you.

I'm sharing the list to you. But I suggest you get hold of a copy yourself. His insights really bores a hole in one's conscience.

1. Follow traffic rules. Follow the law.

2. Whenever you buy or pay for anything, always ask for an official receipt.

3. Don’t buy smuggled goods. Buy local. Buy Filipino.

4. When you talk to others, especially foreigners, speak positively about us and our country.

5. Respect your traffic officer, policemen and soldier.

6. Do not litter. Dispose your garbage properly. Segregate. Recycle. Conserve.

7. Support your church.

8. During elections, do your solemn duty.

9. Pay your employees well.

10. Pay your taxes.

11. Adopt a scholar or a poor child.

12. Be good parent. Teach your kids to follow the law and love our country.

Among the 12 things, I'm already doing 7. I'm struggling to do 2. One I will do soon. One I will do once I give birth. One I will do in the future.

Like these people, I dream that we would be a beautiful nation with beautiful people someday. I just hope that my children will live to see the day that this dream is realized.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3/26/2006 8:37 AM, Blogger Aggie said...

Parang natamaan ako dun ha.

Honestly, Im apathetic when it comes to politics, I dont even vote.

But I do love Pinas. Pero di lang pala nakukuha sa ganun yun. Let me see the book.

Thanks for sharing this!

 
At 3/27/2006 7:19 AM, Blogger benj said...

1. sa kanto ng libertad at taft ave, pag sumunod ka sa traffic light, masasagasaan ka.
2. minsan kahit gustuhin mo, wala silang mabibigay sa iyo (ie. tiangge)
3. how would i know kung smuggled ang binibili ko? sa panahon ngayon, basta mura, sige na lang, go.
4. how can i, when there's nothing positive to talk about?
5. how can we, when they themselves don't respect us?
6. pag nag-segregate ako ng basura namin, sayang lang ang effort dahil pagkakuha ng basurero, paghahaluin din nya sa trak nila.
7. um, next.
8. finally, something i agree with.
9. second.
10. third.
11. natawa ako dito. obviously mayaman si a. lacson. kahit sa public school mo pag-aralin ang isang bata, ang taas na ng expenses.
12. fourth.

in summary, out of the 12, i only agree with four of them. sorry dionne, i don't mean to burst your bubble or anything (i agreed with 33% naman di ba? ;-) ), di ko lang talaga napigilan ang sarili ko na mag-comment. hindi talaga ako fan ng mga idealistic stuff na ganito. they should try living in the "real" world, so that they'll know how to *really* help our country.

pero i have to applaud him, he definitely *knows* how to sell a book. ;)

 
At 3/27/2006 8:38 AM, Blogger dionne said...

hi aggie! sayang naman if we don't do anything but complain di ba?

hi benj! ala lang. i just feel sad for you. yun lang.

 
At 3/27/2006 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks so easy to do when you read it but in reality, some really just don't care..that's the sad part, most filipinos gave up already and had chosen to migrate and live a diff. life..too bad!

i still hope though that there are still youngsters who will follow this and maybe...just maybe help our country..

 
At 3/28/2006 9:28 PM, Blogger dionne said...

hi dulz! that's why the likes of rizal, mabini, et al made a dent in history because they had a vision. what you said is like what isagani cruz, felipe de leon & ambeth ocampo mentioned in their talks. those that do not have vision, do not get anywhere but here.

hi pobs! you're right. it is really an effort for filipinos here and abroad to do these things (esp. speaking positively about our country), but, we should start somewhere. =)

 
At 3/29/2006 12:44 PM, Blogger JanOog said...

hi dionne,

thank you for visiting the new layout of my blog.

teka teka, march bday celebrant ka din? hehehe ayos!! belated happy bday girl!!

medyo malapit na wedding mo ah, yihee!!

 
At 3/29/2006 8:41 PM, Blogger chuching said...

if only ALL of us will follow ALL these rules, life in pinas would be soo much better. we can uplift our country somehow. unfortunately, this is not reality.

i follow number 4 though. i always tell my officemates how beautiful our country is, because it is...kahit na mausok at madumi, hehe :)

 
At 3/30/2006 11:52 AM, Blogger dionne said...

that's great to hear... many filipinos kasi don't speak well about our country, minsan kasama pa sila sa naninira. totoo yun, kahit mausok at madumi... =D the philippines is more than manila.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home