The Couple

  dionne
  joven

Monday, July 31, 2006

Parafunctional Habit

For a number of weeks now, I have been awakened by strange noises. I always wake up confused on where it was coming from. There were nights when I turn to the headboard and imagine that there were creepy crawlers behind it. Other times, I thought that the noise was coming from outside the window. Joven, on the other hand, is in deep sleep. When I told him about it, he said he didn’t hear anything. I tried to describe the noise to him but I can’t seem to describe it. Scratching, squeaking, high-pitched scraping all rolled into one.

That same night, the noise revealed itself to me again. I turned my head to where it was coming from. Then I saw… Joven. The noise was coming from him! His jaws were moving! He was grinding his teeth! What the?! Naku! I thought of waking him up but he stopped the grinding when I was about to touch him.

That morning, I told him of what I saw. He said it’s not him. In denial! Hmp! I was actually more worried than anything else. I’m not sure what it was exactly.

I googled it in the Internet. They call it bruxism.

Causes remain unclear.

No accepted cure.

Haay.

Any experiences in this? What to do? =(

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 7/31/2006 9:03 PM, Blogger Faye said...

hi, dionne! thanks! naku sinabi mo. sabi ko nga sa kanya tyaga tyaga na lang. ang tagal kasi ng processing ng papers ko eh. at least magkasama na kami di ba!

and re:teeth grinding. ganyan din ako. you always have to move him so it'll stop. honestly, that's the reason kaya hindi pantay ang laki ng mga ngipin ko. go to your dentist and inquire about the night guard. it'll help a lot. medyo uncomfi at 1st pero makakasanayan rin nya. kasi kung di sya gagamit nun, baka lumiit mga ngipin nya eventually.

 
At 8/01/2006 8:48 AM, Blogger benj said...

talk to beej. nagg-grind din sya ng teeth (actually more like clenching) habang natutulog.

 
At 8/01/2006 9:04 AM, Blogger Beej said...

grinding/clenching, according to my dentist, is because of stress. nung una, night guard lang ang suot ko. pero dahil matigas ang ulo ko, it has become worse kaya i have to wear a splint even during day time. you saw that one already di ba?

 
At 8/01/2006 4:45 PM, Blogger QT said...

hi dionne. oo nga, ilang months na lang, kakakaba na!

ako din before, nag grind ng teeth. siguro kaya meron akong tmj problem ngayon. better consult a dentist bago lumala.

take care!

 
At 8/01/2006 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi....I'm from Malaysia. My bro got the same problem. The remedy is...trust me....slap his face lightly with a slipper!

 
At 8/02/2006 9:02 AM, Blogger benj said...

hahahahahahaha!!! :)

 
At 8/02/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger dionne said...

hi faye! that's what i do now. i slightly shake him for him to stop. so far yun pa lang yung solution namin.

benj, oo nga pala. nakalimutan ko yun. hehe!

beej, thanks. we're looking for a new dentist kasi cavite pa yung dentist nya. anyway, we might schedule an appointment this weekend. thanks!

hi che! kita ko nga sa net na andaming pwedeng mangyari. yaiks. anyway, it gets more exciting kasi lapit na wedding mo. hehe!

hi anonymous! thanks for dropping by. =) i'll consider your suggestion... i just hope he'll not wake up and hit me with his slipper in return. haha! =)

 
At 8/02/2006 11:41 AM, Blogger joven said...

hey anonymous! if i were you're brother i would've ...

=P

 
At 8/03/2006 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know my cousin mentioned about this before. Nakalimutan ko lang. Pero I think you have to seek medical help. Like cheche said, baka magka-TMJ si Joven ...

lapit na ako ... wala pa ako invites supplier!

 
At 8/09/2006 8:33 PM, Blogger Taro said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home