The Couple

  dionne
  joven

Monday, August 07, 2006

As The Good Book Says

I wanted to watch Miami Vice for the weekend.

Fortunately, we didn't. We stayed home and watched Fiddler on the Roof.

I was quite skeptical at first because I didn't know what it was about. I just knew that it was an old film (released in 1971). Dionne was familiar with the movie because they had a VHS copy of it when she was young. She still knew most of the songs as we were watching it. It's just now that she got to appreciate the dialog as well. Dionne told me that Sunrise, Sunset also came from this movie/play. We used that song in the father/daughter-mother/son dance during our wedding. *sniff*

A few minutes into the movie, I was hooked! After 40 minutes, we decided to stop because it was getting late. We finished the rest of the movie yesterday afternoon. Wow. Aylavet!

Some quotes from the movie:
Tevye: As Abraham said, "I am a stranger in a strange land..."
Mendel: Moses said that.
Tevye: Ah. Well, as King David said, "I am slow of speech, and slow of tongue."
Mendel: That was also Moses.
Tevye: For a man who was slow of tongue, he talked a lot.

Perchik: Money is the world's curse.
Tevye: May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover.

Perchik: Your daughter has a quick and witty tongue.
Tevye: Yes, the wit she gets from me, as the good book says...
Golde: The good book can wait, it's time for Sabbath.
Tevye: The tongue she gets from her mother.

Villager: An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.
Tevye: Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home